Sunday 7 March 2010

Sleep(less)

Dark night
Fan spinning away with clanky-clank
Thoughts spill in and out
A distant dog barks - make that two
Lights in neighouring houses flip on
Autorickshaw growls in short sputtering bursts
What goes on in the mind as it shuts itself down
For the day
For the night
I am not alone
My love lies beside me in her own dreams
And yet something switches on
Birds are chirping madly in the darkness 1.08 AM
Strange
Sleep remains such a daily mystery
Our rest in suspended animation
Waiting to be brought back to life
By tinny alarm on mobile
Or love who wakes me with tea

Morgen frueh wenn Gott will, wirdst Du wieder geweckt...

2 comments:

  1. I'm starting to enjoy more, poems like this about everyday experiences in simple language than the ones we read in college poetry books.

    The mind shutting down for the day is computer language that we easily understand and it sounds sweet.
    Also use of mobile phone for alarm or love with tea makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bro! poetry is the music of the everyday (as well as the exalted)

    ReplyDelete