Much of the material you have been reading has been full of woe. Therefore - we interupt this stream of musings on the darker side of things with the reality of now - a warm smell of freshly baked banana cakes.
A dear friend of ours is coming over tomorrow - and its his birthday - so cakes are made (evidence enclosed in the picture above). And here is the recipe for a sure-fire banana cake!
Sugar 1.5 cups
Oil 0.5 cups
Milk 0.25 cup
Soda 1 tsp
Hot water - a few tsp
Vanilla 1 tsp
Flour 2 cups
Baking powder 1 tsp
1. Cream sugar and oil, add eggs and milk. Add soda dissolved
in hot water, vanilla, flour and baking powder (sifted together)
2. Mash bananas and mix in.
3. Optional: add 0.5 cup of chopped nuts - or some raisins - or 0.5 cup of grated coconut - or chocolate pieces - you get the point.
4. Bake in a moderate oven (we usually do it at 180 degrees centigrade) for about 20 mins
5. Poke with tooth pick or match-stick in the part that looks dampest to see if it is ready. If it comes out clean with nothing sticking to it - its done.
- Recipe from Landour Book of International Recipes - recipe author credited as Virginia Brown.