Wednesday 11 February 2009

Potential

Sheba did a night call to the JSK centre tonight.

She went to see our friend Eddie who has been admitted at the JSK centre for the past few nights with fevers.

We found out that he has a pericardial effusion - a large amount of fluid has accumulated in the area outside the heart. This is a dangerous condition, underlying cause is tuberculosis, something that at the end of the day every one with HIV in India is expected to get.

Its just that we don't expect it so soon. Eddie has had HIV for years - but is trim, fit and full of energy.

He hasn't been for the past few weeks. Its disheartening to be sick. Miserable.

But today the tide changed. Though Eddie is still sick, we now have a diagnosis for him, and are starting him on anti-TB drugs.

Earlier in the day I was alone with Eddie in the clinic. He sat up on his bed, his thinning face looked at me. Our two bald heads came close together. Eddie looked intently at me and said with quiet conviction: "Brother Andi, I want to give myself fully to do the work you all are doing when I get better."

Thinking back on my conversation with this sick man, I find myself sad and happy at the same time. Sad that we have to go through so much pain and despair. Sad because of the degeneration of this amazing young body that HIV is causing. At the same time, I am happy because we are gradually seeing a new Eddie. One that is so much more grace-filled. So earnest and eager to do something.

How much potential each person with HIV has to be a blessing to others. A single bee can pollinate so many flowers. A single person's life being changed can cascade into so many others too!

1 comment:

  1. P.S. Eddie is so much better today - we are thinking of discharging him tomorrow. God is good! Keep praying for Eddie and others like him!

    ReplyDelete