Friday, 27 March 2015

Bhiwandi blues - and hospital news

Bhiwandi is one of those forgotten cities.  A dusty, grimy sprawl of buildings along narrow roads, clogged to the gills with all manner of goods lorries and various cargo carrying spawn...  Over the last decades it has grown to a city of 1.2 million souls - and the vehicular congestion stems from its being a thriving centre for logistics and various industries.  But to my jaundiced eye the whole city seems to be one long corridor of grime.

And I should know.  Today was the 4th time I drove over to Bhiwandi to meet the authorities in our efforts to get legal guardianship for Yohan.   The first time we went the main person was not there.  The second time we met the members and were told that a home-study would be done of our place (which took place a week later).   After being told twice not to come because the members would not be there (and going through the gut-wrenching days of Dad's surgery and post-op) we were told to come on Wednesday.  Having reconfirmed in the morning, Sheba and I got into our Papaya at just after noon on a day that turned out to be 40 degrees centrigrade - and found ourselves being baked in an orange tandoori oven as we were stuck for over an hour in bumper to bumper traffic.   And when we got to the court at 4 PM, we were told that the members quorum was not enough.

And so today I left even earlier and got there at 1.20 PM - and found out that 14 people had come 'before me' - so that when the proceedings started at 2 PM, there would be 14 cases ahead of me.  I hunkered down to wait and heard the numbers being called out occassionally.  Worried, thin women holding small children, young men standing listlessly, others talking to each other in low voices.  Policemen (and women) in mufti - it is a children's court and the police officers are told not to wear uniforms so as not to make the place too scary for the children.  Case workers from social service organisations coming in an out.  A woman that I have seen at least 2 times before walking around, her eyes wide.  The hot air being redistributed by a fan.  The seating shifts as cases are called out.

Finally I hear number 15 being called.  I jump up with my bags and papers and walk into the main hall.  The two members are seated at the main desk.  I see that there are two folks ahead of me so I sit and wait till their issues are solved.  Then I meet up with the concerned officers.  The one who I have met before recognises me.  He looks through the report written by the social worker about our home visit - and then briefly discusses with his colleague.  He then pulls out a juvenile act book and they look through it for the format needed to write out the order in question.   "It's all ok" he tells me.   Relief on my part.  "But you will have to come back again on Monday, since this is a new section and we do not have a proforma for this.  We will type it and have it ready for you then - which you will then have to sign."

So it looks like another trip to Bhiwandi.  On Monday.  But we are going to do what it takes to get legal custody of our dear Yohan.

In the meantime, I stopped on my way back to participate in the Bhiwandi Positive Friends meeting.  Today was the last Friday of the month, and our indefatiguable staff member Mahesh along with his friend Nethaniah and church volunteers had organised the latest monthly support group meeting for the HIV positive folks they are reaching out to.  It was touching to be with the 25 odd folks there - and I was happy to see that there were almost as many men as women - since our Thane support group meeting is 80 to 90 percent women.

So when I zipped back to Thane, dogding the now normal array of traffic of all shapes and sizes, I was driving with a song in my heart.


As all of this was going on - Dad spent another day in the hospital.  After I had spent the night with Dad, Sheba came over and we were there when Dr. Stephen did his morning rounds.  "How are you uncle?" he asked, to which Dad was able to say that he had slept well for the first time in days.  The main difference was the merciful lack of beeping from the vital signs monitoring equipment that the ICUs are full of.    Stephen was happy that there did not seem to be any bile discolouring the bag that was draining from Dad's abdomen.  The really big need for Dad at this point is for the surgical stiching to 'take' and no leaking to happen.   If Dad continues to improve, then he may be discharged in a few days.  But if they find that 'leaking' has happened, then things get more complicated.

So far, so very good.  We are very grateful to the Lord for all the mercies and kindness that He has given us. 

I am spending the night with Dad tonight and making a lightning trip to Delhi to be part of the CANA (Christian AIDS/HIV National Alliance) board meeting tomorrow.  I will leave directly from the Bethany hospital here in Thane at 4 AM for my 6 AM flight - and hope to be in the meeting at Dr. Nalini Abraham's house at 9 AM... lets see if it all works out!  I hope to be back by Sunday 2 PM.

Amazingly, one of our brothers Narendra Kumar is coming to spend the weekend with Dad - and he arrives in Thane at 12 noon and will be with us till Sunday evening.   God is good.

Sheba has been doing so many things behind the scenes and is the reason everything continues to keep moving forward.  With Asha and Enoch having their final exams these days - and Yohan demanding much attention (and creatively stretching various parameters of patience) we have a full plate on our hands.  We appreciate so much the prayers of the saints on our behalf.  Our tired behalfs that is!

1 comment:

  1. praying much for each of you ! God will continue to meet each of you at the point of your need and He shall be your all- Healer, Provider, Peace, Comforter , Favor - whatever you need him to be.