Saturday 7 April 2012

Prayer by names

Shanti is one of our JSK staff members.  A widow, she has been working with us for the past 6 years now - visiting homes of people with HIV/AIDS.  Listening to them.  Mothering them.  Helping in the way that she can.

Shanti also attends the house-church we are part of.  Last Sunday she shared this.

"I have been recuperating from my hernia operation and so have been at home for the last few weeks.  I thought I could rejoin JSK in mid March - but had to extend my time and restart in April.  Last week, the name Nalini (name chaged of course) came to my mind.  I knew two women by that name - and so I prayed for them during this week.

One of the Nalinis used to come to our church.  For a long time we have not had any contact with her.  After I prayed for her - she called me!  It was in the context of referring a patient to us at JSK, but I was able to ask her how she was.  Nalini says she is attending another fellowship. I was so glad to here about her.

The other Nalini was a patient of ours.  She was a young woman who found out that her husband and her had HIV.  She had tried to commit suicide at that time - and after than was brought to us.  We had made friends with her - but then she and her husband moved to Pune and we were not give a further contact address.

This Nalini also came to my mind, after not seeing her for three years, and I prayed for her.

Imagine my surprise when I went down on one day this week - and saw the second Nalini on the street!  She was so happy to see me.  I found out that they are living just 2 houses away from where I live!  They just moved back as a couple and have taken a rental room."

Now what are the chances of that happening?

Two people with the same name, being thought about and prayed for.  And then both coming back into contact with Shanti?


It was a privilege to meet the second Nalini in the Bible study we run on Tuesday night at Shanti's home.   We talked about the parable of the two sons - the lost one who went away and wasted the father's money - and the lost one who stayed at home and disgraced his father by not coming in - and the great love of Father for both of them.

How great Father love is for Nalini.  To bring her back.  And place her right next to Shanti's home.

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.  Mathew 10.29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment