Thursday, 3 July 2008


We were having our morning prayers before setting out for the day's visits when we smelled the burning plastic.

"I wonder who is burning garbage outside now? " I thought.

The smoke continued and filled the room - so we closed the windows and continued the prayer.

Then we heard a small explosion and the lights went off.

A look outside and we could see the cause - a bakery which specialises in 'hot chips' (spicy deepfried plantains etc) had caught fire. The explosion was from one of the gas cylinders going off (another went off later).

The first fire engine on the scene had only 1/2 a tank of water. Later 3 tankers came and the fire was doused. No loss of life or limb, but at least 3 showrooms gutted.

And a grand spectacle for all and sundry.

it only takes a spark, to get a fire going...

No comments:

Post a Comment