Saturday 2 May 2009

A phone call


The mobile buzzed. It was a number that I didn't recognize. What to do? I was with Sheba's cousin and his wife.

I answered.

The voice on the other side was hesitant. I am calling from Malegaon. Is this the Jeevan Sahara Kendra?

I replied it was.

The voice told me that he had read about us on the internet. He has a 10 year old child there with HIV. Both parents also have HIV. They are finding it impossible to care for the child. Do we know what can be done for this child.

I really don't know what to say. And so I say what is true:

"We can't discuss this on the phone - we do not run an ashram here or a hostel for children - most of our work is to look after people who have HIV in Thane in their own homes. But if you would like to bring this family here - we can understand the situation and give advice for the parents and the child."

The voice agreed and said he would come within 2 weeks.

Lets see what happens.

There are so many who need help. What are we to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment