Tuesday 12 August 2008

Into the depths

Our humble mobile phone has been through much abuse. But this past week took the cake.

The toilet seat needed fixing and so I bent over to see what could be done.

In a flash our mobile had taken a dive deep into the bowl. A yelp from me and a quick grab brought up the errant little pup. I tried a quick dry but the damage had been done.

Over the next 3 days I felt very much an orphan - not having access to others over the mobile (and having the office phone on the blink as well).

I did what I had done previously with wet electronica - laid the mobile in a cardboard box with a low intensity bulb in it. And prayed. Gary Larson drew a cartoon about "Appliance Healers" - showing guys with bouffants laying their hands on non-functioning mixie-grinders and vacuum cleaners. It may sound strange, but I talked to God about the little wet mobile.

The first time I tried it did crazy things. A few hours more in the hot-box, again not so fine. After 2 cycles of this the mobile seems to be back to its previous capacity (which was not so great in the first place).

Moral of the story - be careful when you lean over. Moral No. 2 - don't borrow our mobile - you know where it has been...
---------------------

About 10 minutes after the dramatic dive of our mobile into the loo - Enoch called me and said "Daddy, Daddy, your plug is in the toilet!" I couldn't understand what he was saying and so took a look. Lo and behold, the pen drive had also followed the mobile in - and was lying submerged all this time.

Same treatment (along with the wet mobile). Same results - the pen drive seems none the worse from its submarine venture!

1 comment:

  1. I seem to recall another water dive and much anguish (maybe much more than you seem to discuss) when a torrential downpour washed away our tents during an Appalachian backpacking adventure - and your camera ended up a bit submerged.

    Many days of drying and indeed, it somehow survived.

    I'm sure you've converted all of those precious slides and they all sat on your pen drive at the bottom of the toilet. . .right?

    Ah -- the traumas and travails of water ordeals. . . .

    ReplyDelete